So this is me… Kel…
Who am I? Well its taken 42 years of life on this planet to try and work it out, and so far this is what I have discovered…
I am… ME… are you blown away yet? Hmmm, I thought so… inspired right…!
The program is built on core practises that individuals and groups can develop and implement into their daily life.
So the fact of the matter is, ME is all I can be. What is most important about ME is how I choose to let ME loose on the world, on the people I love, on the life I live and on who and what I encounter along the way.
So the real truth is I am a small town country girl who had salt water running through her veins, so it did not take me long to realise that I needed to get out of town! Why? Because I was NOT going to spend my life as a farmers wife, and where I came from, there were not too many other choices. The idea of that life for me was like walking into the Casino and playing Roulette, only being able to choose Red or Black, and potentially gambling my life away in a game with much more at stake than what I had laid out on the table. Despite the odd win, that kind of life had already put me into a debt that I needed to get out of.
I was lucky that my parents encouraged my love of sport and it took me to places over the levee bank ( more on the levee bank another time) where I was able to see that there was more to life than spending my life trying to fit into a life that just didn’t fit. Imagine trying to squeeze into that ill-fitting pair of skinny jeans every day, or walking around all day in RM Williams boots that just don’t fit, that what it was like for me, so when I tried on a pair of Asics and Lorna Jane tights I knew there was more to life than trying to fit in.
So, when life took me east to the beach I found a sense of freedom in the sand and salt air… freedom from all that I thought was holding me back, I found my direction…what was I going to do, who was I going to be and how would I impact on the world? I may have lacked purpose, but I figured I would just keep growing the list of things I could do and it would pull towards something that would work for me
So for the next 12years or so, I studied and earned myself a Bachelor of Human Movement Science majoring in exercise physiology and a graduate diploma of Education, continued to play all manner of sports, learned to surf, pursued my love of helping others in the Health and fitness industry, forged my way into a career in education, grew my sports management & coaching career, found my husband got married and started a family (not without a few bumps along the way of course) & continued towards what I hoped was a purposeful life. What I uncovered over that time was that there was more to it than just escaping and starting fresh, I still had my thoughts, my emotions, my body, my demon’s and my insecurities with me….
You would think that being a Libran I would have everything finely tuned and in balance, so it’s interesting that one of the biggest life lessons I have learned is the one themed with imbalance. It was during my pregnancy with my second child, my beautiful strong-willed, caring and creative daughter, that all those insecurities manifested… it was the beginning of a roller coaster experience for me and my family. I was too busy to slow down, I had a career in education, two young active kids, I was still playing representative sport, I had taken on a role in welfare at the school I worked at, and I was on the go! So, it took a huge slap in the face, a back injury that required surgery that would see me realise that I must place more value on my own health and wellbeing, and stop relying on my physical self to manage the social, emotional and spiritual turmoils bubbling away within.
And so, began my path of learning to see the bigger picture of health and wellness and in finding my true purpose in this life. My Blog is my way of sharing with you my experiences, knowledge and life lessons, and how I have been able to regain the balance. Project Nu You is my purpose in action. Pooling together over 20 years in education, 25 years in the health, fitness and coaching industry, and a long list of life events that have taught me so much more than my education ever did I found my purpose and my hope. To help others be the best version of themselves and to live their best life.
Project Nu You:
the big picture on health and wellbeing
The Core Practise …
This particular aspect of the program is designed so that it can be presented to and participated in by Individuals, Groups, Staff and students with the aim to up-skill individuals to help them cope and build resilience, mindfulness and physical health and wellbeing.
- N – Nourish your body inside and out
- U – Unleash – daily activities to unlock energy and tension
- Y – Your day a better way – Use time effectively & learn how to prioritize your time so you can win every day
- O – Open mind – mindfulness strategies you can use to centre yourself, find your purpose and recover or discover your energy
- U – Uncover your best self- Daily practices to help you realise the benefits of living with gratitude
Programs, Workshops and information sessions:
Opportunity for staff and the parent community to learn together to support their health and wellbeing so they can give the best support and role model positive health behaviours to their students and children is so important and at Project Nu You. I am focused on providing those opportunities in and out of the school environment. The opportunity for schools to offer the Nu You program, workshops for the school staff and /or community to come together and build on the projects content and skills base.
Staff Wellbeing workshops:
When the staff are feeling their best they will be able to give their students their best. The option to hold staff wellbeing workshops where they too can learn and implement the core practise of Project Nu You that are founded by the World Health Organisations action areas and strategies for health promotion, is one that will not only benefit the Staff but the students as well. These workshops can be adapted to suit the timeframes desired.
Project Nu You has a social media platform, website and blog that provides regular information and support to parents and caregivers focused on the skills and information presented in the program. There is also an online community where parents can interact, ask questions and learn how to help themselves and their children implement and practise the knowledge and skills learned throughout the program.
I am open to discussing these options further with you to tailor them to suit the needs of your school community.
Let’s unpack the core practise….
N – Nourish…..
To Nourish we must provide our bodies with the food or the skills and knowledge which is necessary for growth, repair, health, and good condition and to enable us to keep a feeling or belief in our minds, typically for a long time that feeds passion, ambition, purpose and wellbeing.
This project aims to….
- Provide you with valuable knowledge as to what, when, how and why you should fuel your mind and body
- Make recommendations for good quality healthy choices regarding diet and support for your body
- Provide examples of how you can create an incredibly healthy meal and snack options & time efficient nourishment for busy people.
- Show you how to feed your emotional and physical states in a way that is balanced and healthy
- Strategy –
- learn about the human body and how to nourish it so it will perform at its best
- learn the value of sleep and recovery
- Demonstrate good practice for snack/meal choices
- Strategy –
U – Unleash….
Unleash – learning to empower yourself using movement, physical activity and changing your physical state to improve energy, focus, attention, relationships, teamwork and emotional wellbeing
This project aims to….
- Show you use your body to your advantage and enable you to achieve positive energy and mindset
- Improve your physical state to impact positively on your mental and emotional wellbeing
- Untap your potential through changing your physical state & guide you to a state of physical, mental and emotional balance
- Demonstrate and learn how your physiology can impact your state of mind
- 10 in 10 – 10 movements in 10 Minutes designed to change the flow of energy throughout your body and to uplift and empower you physically and mentally
- Tap into the joy of movement through experience
Y – Your day a better way ….
Your day can happen a better way if you channel your energy positively into your day & treat yourself and your goals like they are just as important to life as oxygen. Learn to prioritise and achieve small wins daily, and to learn to turn your experiences into productive efficient and empowering outcomes.
This project aims to…..
- Guide you through your practice for goal setting to ensure success is measurable
- Help you time block your day to allow YOU and YOUR goals to feature
- Help you prioritise the thoughts, and actions that you build into every day to help you find success
- Strategy –
- Learn you the skills of Effective Goal setting, Dream Building, and Big LIfe Picture
- Daily Method of Operation ( DMO)
- Personal Empowerment through recognition of small wins daily
- Be a Weeble – bounce back from a disappointment
- Strategy –
O – Open Mind….
Open your mind to Mindfulness which is a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique & is emerging as an essential skill for living in today’s fast-paced ultra-connected world.
This project aims to….
- Recognise the value of Individuality and be aware of your energy and power
- Equip you with some tools to help you balance your state of calm
- Show you how the practice of mindfulness can help you to realise the “Bigger Picture”
- Be your own Superhero – acknowledge your individuality, your power and your strength and use it for creating good.
- Teach you the skills needed to change your physiological state to impact your mental/ emotional state to empower you.
- Practise visualisation and relaxation techniques to find focus and manage distraction to re-charge your inner Superhero
U – Uncover your best self….
Uncovering your best self requires the understanding and application of a growth mindset, the quality of being thankful, & is a readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness. It is the key to happiness that we all possess, we just need to take the time to practise it.
This project aims to…
- Equip you with 3 questions you can ask yourself daily to help you find appreciation for the events of the day and recognise your small wins
- Show you how to bring gratitude and appreciation into your day, every day.
- Give you some Bigger Picture actions to practice so that you can recognise how your small wins contribute to your Big Life Picture
- Learn the benefits of a growth mindset and living a grateful life
- Learn the BIG 3 and how to apply them to create your best self
- Develop and apply the skills of appreciation and recognition.
- Develop citizenship, a sense of community and learn how to fill your cup by focusing on the joy of filling that of others first
Thank you for your time and interest and I look forward to future communications with you regarding this project.